Student Leader for Farmers Markets
This position is 10 hours per week during spring semester 2013, 20 hours per week during the summer of 2013, and 10 hours per week during fall semester 2013. This position is compensated at a rate of $9.00 per hour.
University Classification: Employment Opportunities
Position Title: Morris Healthy Eating Student Leader for Gardening
Department: Morris Healthy Eating (within UMM Office of Student Affairs)
Position Reports To: Morris Healthy Eating Coordinator and/or Assistant Coordinator
Term: February 4, 2013 - November 22, 2013
Time: 10 hours/wk during spring semester, 20 hours/wk during summer, 10 hours/wk during fall semester.
Work Hours: Varies/to be determined may include some night and weekend hours.
Purpose of the Position
This part-time position will assist in leading the Morris Healthy Eating in its gardening initiatives and as a whole. The position reports to the Morris Healthy Eating Coordinator and/or Assistant Coordinator.
The MHE Student Leader for Farmers Markets will work closely with the MHE leadership team, the Morris Area Farmers Market (MAFM) Coordinator, market vendors and customers. This position includes work on site during market hours, as well as indoor/office-based work.
1 Assist with planning, implementation, evaluation, and other Farmers Market related activities throughout the year.
2 Assist the MAFM Coordinator in implementing key aspects of the MAFM during season, including publicity, operation, set-up and take down of the MHE information and demonstration booth.
3 Provide farmers market and healthy eating information to market customers and vendors, organize and conduct special events at the MAFM.
4 Serve as an information source at the MAFM, sharing knowledge about market operations, products and practices. Build communication with market vendors throughout the year.
5 Serve as an information source and community contact person for Morris Healthy Eating.
6 Attend weekly meetings with the MHE Student Leadership team, Coordinator, and Assistant Coordinator, and assist with implementing healthy eating projects on campus and in the community as assigned.
7 Work with the MAFM Coordinator and MHE leaders to hold pre- and post-season vendor meetings, organize cooking demonstrations and food sampling that complies with all applicable laws and food safety standards.
8 Provide regular updates and/or written reports about MAFM activities and accomplishments, including an end-of-season report and presentation.
9 Communicate via e-mail, phone calls, and in person with vendors, consultants, community partners, students and faculty.
● Enrolled student at the University of Minnesota, Morris
● Interest and/or experience in local food sRystems work
● Flexible schedule – hours may vary from week to week and include some evening and/or weekend hours.
● Good time management skills Reliable with the ability to juggle and prioritize multiple projects/responsibilities
● Willingness to work both individually and as a team
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Desire and ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds
● Desire to positively impact community health by making healthy and fresh foods more widely available in the Morris community.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
● Strong organizational skills
● Excellent problem-solving skills
● Experience planning and coordinating events
● Inventive, creative, and able to quickly adjust to changing conditions and/or turn of events
● Experience in food systems and knowledge of food system impacts on the environment, economy, and/or health.
Physical and/or Environmental Requirements
Work in the community in a variety of settings and locations, both indoors and outside, including the ability to engage in fast-paced, physically demanding work also standing and sitting at desk and regular use of personal computer.
Apply electronically by sending all of the following information in a single email to Ashraf Ashkar, Morris Healthy Eating Assistant Coordinator at email@example.com
1. A letter of application that summarizes why you want the position and why you are the best candidate for the position.
2. A current resume.
3. Contact information for 3 references AND your information, including all of the following: Your full name:
Student ID #:
Current year in college:
To learn more, visit the Morris Healthy Eating website at www.morris.umn.edu/healthyeating or contact Ashraf Ashkar at 320-589-6457, Welcome Center 205.
Morris Healthy Eating (MHE) is one of eight programs funded through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota’s tobacco settlement proceeds to promote healthier eating and thereby help to improve the health of Minnesotans. MHE works to expand the access and availability of fresh fruits and vegetables and other healthy foods on campus, within greater Morris, and in Stevens County.
$9.00 per hour
Hours Per Week:
10 hrs/wk during academic year 20 hrs/week summer
- Arrangement of Hours: varies
- Preferred Application Procedure(s): Contact Ashraf
- Contact: Mary Jo Forbord
Number of Positions Available
- Current Openings: 1
- Average Openings: 1
- Current Openings: 1
- Average Openings: 1