The renovated Welcome Center serves as the gateway to the University of Minnesota, Morris campus.
Built in 1915, during the West Central School of Agriculture era, the building was known as the Engineering building. Most recently the building was known as the Community Services building. The Welcome Center was built with sustainability in mind and is just another example of the Morris campus’s commitment to sustainability. The campus has set as goal of being energy self sufficient and carbon neutral.
Completed in January 2010, the Welcome Center is built to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards. The Welcome Center is the first building in Minnesota and the first building listed on the National Register of Historic Places to use energy efficient chilled beam technology.
The Welcome Center received the 2011 Minnesota Construction Association’s (MCA) Special Recognition Award. The MCA annually recognizes a project that was completed as a result of “resourceful blending of construction techniques and professionals.” In addition, the Welcome Center was featured in the January/February 2011 issue of Architecture Minnesota, a publication of The American Institute of Architects Minnesota. The article, “Prairie Star,” can be read online.
The Welcome Center houses several offices and programs.
- Alumni Relations and Annual Giving
- Center for Small Towns
- Fund Development/Give to Morris
- Office of Community Engagement
- University Relations
Photo above: The Welcome Center opened in January 2010 as the campus’s first building built to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards. The building serves as the gateway to the Morris campus.