“Morris is a perfect place to study the need, the implications, the policy, and the economics of environmental issues. Not only does this program offer some of the best professors on campus, it allows you to explore several disciplines. And you will be doing so at a school that is dedicated to being green, in the heart of rural Minnesota.”
—Kate Beyer Paris ’05, project developer, Agriculture Utilization Research Institute.
Why choose Morris?
Morris is an ideal place to do environmental studies. Here are some of the things that set us apart:
- Personalized approach lets you design an environmental studies program that fits your interests and career goals.
- Local research partners offer a wide range of opportunities to extend your experiences beyond the classroom.
- Internship program lets you put your knowledge into practice.
- Senior capstone program gives you experience working on a multi–disciplinary team to explore a local environmental issue.
- Green campus is a model of sustainability and a living laboratory for innovative, environmentally–friendly ideas.
- Renewable energy facilities not only power the campus, but serve as cutting edge research and teaching tools.
- Rural location offers abundant opportunities for field study just outside the college gates.
Award–winning professors, cutting edge research, personal attention, a sustainable community, renewable energy facilities, wetlands, woodlands, prairie…Morris has it all! You won’t find a better place to immerse yourself in the study of the environment.
A University of Minnesota, Morris environmental studies degree will prepare you to understand the complex environmental issues of our time. You’ll gain broad knowledge of the natural environment and the role of humans in the environment.
Our environmental studies graduates go on to successful careers in government, education, non–profit service, public policy, urban planning, and many other fields.
A place where professors know you
At Morris, you will enjoy close interaction with your professors. The environmental studies faculty is renowned for teaching and passionate about the environment.
Morris graduates report a very high level of satisfaction with their education, and many students maintain lifelong friendships with their Morris professors. Here are some reasons why:
- Professors, not teaching assistants, teach all Morris classes. You will learn from experts in their fields.
- Morris classes are small, so your professors will get to know you.
- Morris faculty members are renowned for their teaching. We have the highest percentage of Horace T. Morse Award recipients in the University of Minnesota system. The award recognizes outstanding contributions to undergraduate education.
- Morris faculty members can help you make valuable professional connections.