University of Minnesota Morris

Procedure for Accommodation Request

Procedure for accessing accommodations

  1. Contact the Director of the Office of Academic Success/Disability Resource Center to set up an appointment to discuss your DRC Welcome Packet & Application for Services », or Temporary Health Condition Application Form.
  2. Provide Official Documentation of your disability, which is generally provided by a health care provider or testing specialist. Like other documents related to your progress at UMM, these documents are confidential. You may also want to provide any previous documentation from primary education case managers(such as high school, middle/elementary school) to help assist in getting the right accommodations for you.
  3. Communicate with the Director of the Office of Academic Success/Disability Resource Center: we are here to help you. We will meet at least once per semester to review the accommodations that will enable your success, and we will put this plan on paper and keep it in your file for future reference. This plan will specify:
    • The accommodations to be provided
    • Why and when they will be provided
    • Who is responsible for providing them
    • How they will be provided
  4. Once all documentation and accommodations have been discussed, you will be provided with a letter, which describes your accommodation(s) for the courses,in which you are enrolled for the current semester.. You will hand deliver this letter to your instructor to develop a method of open communication and advocate for the accommodation(s).Collaborating in the learning process may be a lot of fun. Your professor actually expects to help students in this way (Go figure!). Good communication with your professor(s) can be the key to success.
  5. Keep in mind that while the instructor must offer accommodation, he or she is not expected to compromise essential requirements and components of the course or evaluation standards. It is in your best interest to share the letter with your professors and your academic advisor early.Although if you choose not to share the letter, your professor is not obligated to provide any accommodation. S/he is not obligated to allow you to make up work or retake exams that you may have performed poorly on because you chose not to advocate for your needs.
  6. Contact the Director of the Office of Academic Success/Disability Resource Center if the accommodation(s) are not implemented in a timely and effective manner, or you believe you have been discriminated against on the basis of disability, if this is not possible, the student should contact the Dean’s Office (see University of Minnesota Grievance Procedure and the Americans with Disabilities Act).