The top 5 things to consider when planning a major in Computer Science
- This major relies heavily on courses in Math, Statistics, and abstract thinking. Students should begin the Math sequence in the first semester, following the recommended placement.
- Students may choose from CSCI 1201 (spring) or CSCI 1301 (fall); one course is required.
- It is essential for students to take CSCI 1302 in the spring of the first year; CSCI 1201 and 1301 are not prerequisites.
- In a rapidly changing collaborative professional environment the art of "learning how to learn" is extremely important. Flexibility and teamwork are emphasized from the earliest courses. It is not uncommon for students to feel a bit overwhelmed by the material. Help is available. Students are encouraged and welcomed to ask questions. Community is emphasized; students work together and help each other out.
- Our program has many professional and internship opportunities. Most students find an internship after their junior year, and many after their sophomore year as well.