The top 5 things to consider when planning a major in Sociology
- Be sure to communicate with your faculty adviser multiple times throughout the academic year to be sure that you are on track to graduate.
- If possible, take the Introductory Sociology (Soc 1101) course during the fall semester of your first year. This early start allows you to establish the foundation of knowledge, as well as, having the prerequisite to enroll in more advanced courses within the discipline.
- Aim to complete your general education requirements within your first year. Completion of GERs will allow for greater flexibility to enroll in elective courses that you find the most interesting.
- Apply your sociological knowledge through co-curricular activities: Get involved in student government, student organizations, and community engagement.
- Along those same lines, the best advice for students in this major is to study abroad if possible.