University of Minnesota Morris

Sample Suspension Letter


Dear student:

At the University of Minnesota, Morris, “good academic standing” requires students to maintain a term and cumulative GPA of 2.000. During fall (year), you were on probation. After (semester), both your GPA and cumulative GPA are below 2.000. Because of your current academic standing, you have been suspended from the University of Minnesota for one academic year. If you are registered for classes, they have been cancelled. And, as of this date, you are no longer eligible for financial aid.

In order to take courses in the future at Morris or at any other University of Minnesota campus, you have several options.

  1. If you have any I, K, or X grades on your transcript, complete those courses as soon as possible. This may result in the immediate lifting of your suspension. To be reinstated, all grade changes must be received in the Office of the Registrar no later than (date). If you are expecting a grade change, immediately notify the Student Scholastic Standing Committee and also email the committee when the change has been posted.
  2. You may submit an appeal to return after an absence of one regular academic semester. Appeals to return in fall (year) must be submitted on or before June 30, (year). Decisions will be made and notifications will be sent by the end of July (year). The Suspension Appeal Form is available at
  3. If you do not appeal, suspension is for two semesters (one full academic year). Following two semesters, you may apply for readmission.

The best way to demonstrate your readiness to return to the University of Minnesota is to provide documentation of success in courses at another college. If you would like the transfer specialist to evaluate courses from another college to confirm they would transfer to Morris, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

You may receive a separate suspension notice concerning financial aid from the Office of Financial Aid. If you have questions about financial aid, contact One Stop Student Services at

If you have questions about the suspension information above, please contact the Scholastic Committee Executive Staff.

On behalf of the Scholastic Committee,

Scholastic Committee Executive Staff

CC: adviser, Student Scholastic Standing Committee, Scholastic Committee chair